[TIP] Does nose support suite() method?

Ringo De Smet ringo.desmet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:55:19 PST 2009

Hello Robert,

2009/11/19 Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>:
> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 09:57 +0100, Ringo De Smet wrote:
>
> Well, the suite method isn't a magic name, its just convention as far as
> it goes.

I see it differently: it is clearly documented in the Python unittest
module of how to organize your tests. Nose mentions in its docs that
it can use tests subclassed from unittest.TestCase. I interpreted this
remark a bit differently: "nose supports running tests written
according to the Python unittest guidelines". Wrong expectation it
seems. ;-)

> Python 2.7 has a load_tests hook which the TestLoader discovery can use,
> if you need to do special things.

Python 2.7 isn't an option. We are not even at Python 2.6 level yet
with our product...

> I'm curious why you are moving to nose, if you have a working
> environment already. (And I mean no disrepect to nose by asking this -
> I'm just curious).
>
> Separately. are you aware of http://pypi.python.org/pypi/junitxml, which
> can also provide xml output but without being as either-or as xmlrunner?

Migrating to nose is not only done for it's junit plugin, but later on
we will also integrate test coverage. Actually, the plugin
architecture of nose was the main criterium for the migration, since
it aligns with our Python test plans.

Ringo