[TIP] nose/py.test plugins (was Re: Coverage.py 3.2b1: Branch coverage])

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Nov 11 14:17:42 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 14:02 -0500, Victoria G. Laidler wrote:
> holger krekel wrote:
>> Hi Vicky, Ned, Jason,
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:51 -0500, Victoria G. Laidler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Holger and Jason,
>>>
>>> Is there a write-up anywhere yet that has instructions for plugin
>>> authors who want to make their plugins compatible with both test
>>> systems?
>>> Or maybe two simple-minded writeups, one to convert an existing nose
>>> plugin to support py.test, and the other for vice-versa?
>>>

>> no write-ups i know off.
>>
>> My impression is that people like to work from real-life examples.
> Uh, just for the record, I loathe working from examples instead of from
> actual documentation. *My* impression is that people don't like to write
> actual documentation! ;) and thus point people at code instead.

Heh, I often like to write docs actually.  Just the other day
somebody told me "I prefer to read code rather than docs" when
i pointed him to detailed docs i spent considerable time with :)

>> Let's open a coverage-fork on bitbucket and give all
>> interested people write-access there ... (Ned, if you do it,
>> my username is 'hpk42' there).
>>

> I was less interested in the immediate coverage plugin and more
> interested in helping everybody write future plugins that could work
> with both systems. I have a Pandokia plugin for nose that I'd be glad to
> make work with py.test, if I had some decent instructions. But I'm not
> interested in reverse-engineering some other random plugin in order to
> figure out what to do to mine.

ok.  I just reread your mail from April to TIP:

    Pandokia is designed as a lightweight test
    management and reporting system.
    It consists of loosely coupled set of components that:
      - discover test files
      - configure the test environment
      - invoke test runners to run tests contained in test files
      - import test results to a database
      - identify missing test results
      - display browsable (CGI) test reports from the database

where is nose and the nose-plugin coming into play?

cheers,
holger