[TIP] A nose plugin to randomize the order of unittest.TestCase tests

Mark Waite markwaite at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 05:30:57 PDT 2009

--- On Sat, 4/25/09, Charles McCreary <charles.mccreary at crmeng.com> wrote:

> From: Charles McCreary <charles.mccreary at crmeng.com>
> Subject: [TIP] A nose plugin to randomize the order of unittest.TestCase tests
> To: testing-in-python at lists.idyll.org
> Date: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
>
> I've written a plugin that
> randomizes the test order of tests built with the
> unittest.TestCase framework.

Thanks!  This seemed from its description to be exactly
what I was seeking.  However, it appears to conflict
with the --with-xunit plugin in nosetests 0.11.0.  If I
run with both --with-xunit and --randomize, the xunit
output file, nosetests.xml shows "0 tests run" even though
there were many tests run.

Also it seems to only randomize the order of test execution
within a file or a test class (not sure which), without
randomizing the order in which the test classes are
selected.

I was looking for something that would randomize test order
within a test class, and randomize the order in which tests
classes are executed as well.  Any plans to do that, or
suggestions how I could do it?

> Charles R. McCreary P.E.

Thanks,
Mark Waite