[TIP] Testing a daemon with coverage (nose)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 7 07:01:15 PDT 2009

Alfredo Deza <arufuredosan at gmail.com> writes:

> I have just started to get into the habit of testing everything that I
> code, and a good friend of mine suggested the coverage plugin when
> using Nosetests.

Excellent! Congratulations on getting test-infected :-)

> Right now I am working on a Daemon module for Python scripts. The
> module, when imported will make the current process detach from the
> terminal and run in the background as a daemon.

Please try the ‘python-daemon’ library, which is intended for this exact
purpose <URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon>.

Hopefully it will both meet your programming need, and illustrate one
approach to testing this kind of library.

Feedback is welcome; if you want to discuss the functionality, I suggest
moving to the ‘comp.lang.python’ forum (the general Python discussion
forum on Usenet, or the mailing list gateway).

--
 \           “There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their |
  `\     home.” —Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital |