[TIP] "midget" pony continuous integration tool

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu May 7 03:44:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:45 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> writes:
>
> > FYI, with py.test you can do:
> >
> >     py.test --looponfailing
> >
> > which will run all your tests, then wait for changes,
> > re-run only your failures, wait for changes, ...,
>
> So, if I make a change to fix one of the failures and inadvertantly
> break a test that previously succeeded, I can go an indeterminate number
> of code-test cycles before I find out about it?

well, you will all the time work on a failing test - most
people i know like to focus on fixing one particular test
and then see if that broke any other bits.

> That seems like the canonical reason why ???run the entire unit test
> suite every time??? is good practice, and I can't see why the above
> behaviour would be desirable.

As Laura points out, if tests take longer it is nice to not
have to wait before seeing if the intended-to-fix test works.
Btw, py.test runs unit, functional and integration tests and
i think nosetests also does runs more than pure unit tests.
best,
holger

Metaprogramming, Python, Testing: http://tetamap.wordpress.com
Python, PyPy, pytest contracting: http://merlinux.eu