[TIP] Calculating coverage of runtime-generated functions

Nicolas Trangez Nicolas.Trangez at Sun.COM
Sat May 2 10:30:11 PDT 2009

Hija,

In a project I'm working on there are several constructs like the one
pasted at the end of this email. Recently we wanted to enhance the
test coverage of the project, and measure this as well, using a
standard code coverage tool.

I've been looking at both coverage.py (3.0 beta) and figleaf, both
integrated in nose, which is the test runner we're using, but none of
them cover the problem, not to my surprise since it seems rather hard
to tackle. Given the code snippet below (which is obviously an
oversimplification of the real code), coverage tools report 100%
coverage, whilst function 'three' is not tested at all. If the
generated functions would use more complex components in their
closure, one really wants to test all of them.

The main question is: is there any existing tool which allows to check
code coverage of code for which no 1-to-1 mapping to sourcecode is
available?

If not I guess it'd be useful to work on this, but both from a
technical as well as from a UI point of view I expect some challenges.
Any ideas are welcome :-)

Thanks,

Nicolas

def gen(n):