[TIP] Dingus screencast and source code

Gary Bernhardt gary.bernhardt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:25:24 PDT 2009

Dingus is a permissive, recording stub library that started out as an
accidental fork of Michael Foord's mock library. It has a magical
feature that other libraries lack: by inheriting from the right base
class, your tests become fully isolated, with all objects other than
the class under test being replaced by dinguses.

The screencast [1] shows me using Dingus to TDD a small bit of code
with fully isolated unit tests. It's 18 minutes long, so hopefully you
won't get too bored. :) The original QuickTime version is higher
quality and is linked right on the Vimeo page; I'd recommend
downloading it if you have QuickTime installed.

The Dingus source is at [2], and a slightly out-of-date version is
easy_installable. You should install from from tip on bitbucket for
now if you want to try it out. I'll try to get the next release out
soon.

(For those who were at the testing BOF at PyCon: Yes, I really was
typing that fast, although I slow down in this screencast. ;) An
announcement and screencast for Mote will take a little longer; it's
still changing pretty rapidly.)

Please let me know what you think about the Dingus!

[1] http://vimeo.com/3949077
[2] bitbucket.org/garybernhardt/dingus

--
Gary