[TIP] Everybody wants a pony!

m h sesquile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:06:48 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Kumar McMillan
<kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> To use Hudson, you need the JVM.  Now you have two problems...
>>
>> (Think Snakebite, Kumar.)
>
> $ which java
>
> and it might even be there.  otherwise:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk
>
> There is an init script for ubuntu and you can run Hudson from a jar.
> It could not get much easier:
> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/HudsonUbuntuLinuxStartupScript
>
> In fact, you may find that Hudson requires no hacking at all for
> snakebite.  From everything you posted in the feature-want list it
> would not require hacking, anyway.  Those items are all supported
> afaik.  But of course ymmv.  It seems worth experimenting with.

I think Titus was referring to non-helpful platforms such as
hpux/aix/cray/weird mainframes that are now stacked up in his office,
that don't have such nice package management.

I would imagine that getting python on said packages might be easier than java?

My concerns for snakebite would be:

* Who really cares about those platforms?  From what Guido said, he
doesn't.  I don't think students do.
* security.  You really want virtualization to solve that problem.
Unless you want to throw students at it.  (poor students....)

-matt