[TIP] Everybody wants a pony!

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Mar 31 08:18:06 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:13:14AM -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:
-> On 2009 Mar 31, at 10:32 AM, C. Titus Brown wrote:
-> > Anyway, along the lines of a pony, I am proposing to build or extend a
-> > replacement for buildbot that will serve those of you who need a
-> > simpler
-> > and more easily-installable continuous interation framework.  I have a
-> > few basic ideas, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.
->
-> Sounds great, but does it have to be easy_install?

No, but it should be easy_installable.

-> Since this is already force multiplying simplicity and loosely coupled-
-> ness, maybe have a simple infection server that you can bootstrap
-> various distributed python tools with. If that thing used easy_install
-> I really wouldn't care, it'd be abstracted away... Hmmm...

No Comment.

(Can you imagine? "Hello!  Today I have installed Python and the Build
Collective Server System on your Windows machine!  Next time keep your
patches up to date!  And have a nice day!")

-> I like simple. I like that twill is almost stable, sorry, dead, enough
-> to be in the standard library. Keep raising the low-tide mark. (did
-> the twill sprint mutate into figleaf? Hard to tell being back home
-> instead of at pycon itself).

The twill sprint ended, and then I stayed up and late and bashed on
figleaf.

-> I also like the idea that results reporting can be separated out, so I
-> could "ease" into using this by keeping my buildbot infrastructure for
-> a while, and start with adding in the pieces "on top". Then a basement
-> replacement is an obvious tipping point change with little risk.

Hey, if buildbot's working for you, keep it -- don't change unless you
have to!  I just find it frustrating to set up a new buildbot for small
projects and/or on new machines.

--t
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu