[TIP] PyCon BoF

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 23:43:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:50:33AM +1300, Noah Gift wrote:
> -> Let me digress even further.  Any chance someone is interested in
> enhancing
> -> pythoscope to support a legacy Perl mode?  I won't be at PyCon, but am
> -> interested in the idea of creating functional tests specs in Python for
> -> legacy Perl code.
>
> I will do it...
>
> ...for one meeeeeeeelyun dollars!
>
> Seriously, it would take that much to get me to work on Perl internals.

I am no Perl expert, but I wonder how using the perlmodule would work:
http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/pyperl-1.0/perlmodule.pod to basically do the
same think Pythoscope is doing now.  Of course, much of the Perl code I am
interested in porting is code that is 5,000 lines deep full of  hundreds of
lines of if/else statements contingent on a regular expression matching.
 Maybe there is no way to actually convert that to python.

I do kind of like the idea of writing failing functional tests with nose
automatically, plus the test generator inspecting anything "clean" it can
find, like God forbid, a module or a class, and then stubbing those out as
well.  It is a really tough problem for some smart guy.  How about this for
a sales pitch, "Stop building web frameworks God dammit, help port Perl to
Python."?

--
Cheers,

Noah