[TIP] PyCon BoF

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sun Mar 15 20:48:51 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:40:57PM -0400, laidler at stsci.edu wrote:
->
-> >-> On Mar 15, 2009, at 9:36 PM, "C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
-> >->
-> >-> >Anyone up for a PyCon testing BoF? Rather than anything formal -- the
-> >-> >spread of testing tools is too great for that ;) -- I thought it might
-> >-> >be fun to organize a testing-specific series of lightning
-> >-> >presentations,
-> >-> >and/or a dinner/drinking outing, and/or a brainstorming session,
-> >-> >and/or...
-> >-> >
-> >-> >Thoughts?  Enthusiasm?
->
-> >Well, we all need to eat.  So how about a Saturday evening dinner?  I
-> >don't remember the restaurant situation, exactly, but I think we should
-> >just ask our friendly local Chicagoans to recommend a place with decent
-> >food & drink that's unlikely to be too busy even on a Friday.  (Terry?
-> >Any thoughts?)
-> >
-> >And heck, I'll try to remember to bring a projector with me to the conf,
-> >so we can just find a room and do some drunken lighting talks after
-> >dinner.
-> >
-> >Sound good?
->
-> Uh, can I cast a vote for doing things in the opposite order?
->
-> How about starting with the lightning talks -- then those who want
-> to carry on the conversation over dinner and/or drinks can do so?
->
-> Also, that way there is more of a chance of attracting people who might
-> be only casually interested in testing at the moment, but whose
-> interest and enthusiasm might be piqued by what they hear. There's
-> not much chance of collecting those people if the answer to "When are
-> the lightning talks on testing?" is "Oh, whenever we get
-> back from the pizzeria, we'll find a room someplace..."

hi, Vicki,

I don't think that works well within the time constraints...  the talks
end at 6:10pm, and getting organized etc. for a dinner generally seems
to take an hour, so I doubt that we'd be able to start dinner before
7:30 even without anything inbetween.  I personally get grouchy if I
don't eat by 8!

I take your point, though.  We can certainly plan to be back from dinner
at a specific time -- say, 9:30pm? -- and a specific place, followed by
informality at the hotel bar.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu