[TIP] PyQt testing with nose

Nagappan Alagappan nagappan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:00:51 PDT 2009

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Paul Hildebrandt <
Paul.Hildebrandt at disneyanimation.com> wrote:

>  Noah,
>
> We are also looking at automated GUI testing for PyQt.  There are two open
> source tools that I've found:
>     * LDTP - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
>     * Dogtail - https://fedorahosted.org/dogtail/

These automation tools as of now only for Linux platform. If you are looking
at cross platform, then you may need to try with different solution. But,
I'm not aware of any in FOSS world to work in cross platform for GUI
testing.

>  Both tools rely on hooks into the Accessibility library.  That doesn't
> currently work with Qt.  There is on going work to make them work but
>  it's probably a couple months out.  I've emailed Nagappen, of LDTP fame,
> and he said:
>
> If the GUI application is written using gnome (gtk widget) / Mozilla (XUL)
> / Java (Swing interface) / OpenOffice, then you can access with LDTP.
> Currently there is a work going on to use accessibility layer in QT
> applications using dbus. Once this part is ready, LDTP can be used to test
> applications written using QT too.
>
> I am pretty sure Nagappen is on the list so maybe he will chime in.
>
> Mark Doffman is doing the accessibility work.  Here is some corrispondence
> I've gotten from him:
>
> The work is ongoing, but at an early stage. We are looking to have a
> demo of Qt accessibility over another pyatspi based testing framework
> called Dogtail by the end of this month. This isn't necessarily a
> recommendation for Dogtail. LDTP has also been ported to pyatspi, so
> should also work.
>
> The source can be found at:
>
> git://doffman.com/qspiaccessiblebridge
>
>  Mark's work looks pretty good but he just needs time or help to complete
> it.
>
> So in summary, we've played with LDTP and I think it's pretty cool but it
> can't work with PyQt, right now.  We are looking at Squish (
> http://www.froglogic.com/) to do some automated testing in the time being.

Nice :)

BTW, Paul, my name is misspelled ;)

Thanks