[TIP] PyQt testing with nose

Paul Hildebrandt Paul.Hildebrandt at disneyanimation.com
Wed Jun 24 09:54:08 PDT 2009

Noah,

We are also looking at automated GUI testing for PyQt.  There are two
open source tools that I've found:
    * LDTP - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
    * Dogtail - https://fedorahosted.org/dogtail/

 Both tools rely on hooks into the Accessibility library.  That doesn't
currently work with Qt.  There is on going work to make them work but
 it's probably a couple months out.  I've emailed Nagappen, of LDTP
fame, and he said:
> If the GUI application is written using gnome (gtk widget) / Mozilla
> (XUL) / Java (Swing interface) / OpenOffice, then you can access with
> LDTP. Currently there is a work going on to use accessibility layer in
> QT applications using dbus. Once this part is ready, LDTP can be used
> to test applications written using QT too.
I am pretty sure Nagappen is on the list so maybe he will chime in.

Mark Doffman is doing the accessibility work.  Here is some
corrispondence I've gotten from him:
> The work is ongoing, but at an early stage. We are looking to have a
> demo of Qt accessibility over another pyatspi based testing framework
> called Dogtail by the end of this month. This isn't necessarily a
> recommendation for Dogtail. LDTP has also been ported to pyatspi, so
> should also work.
>
> The source can be found at:
>
> git://doffman.com/qspiaccessiblebridge

Mark's work looks pretty good but he just needs time or help to complete it.

So in summary, we've played with LDTP and I think it's pretty cool but
it can't work with PyQt, right now.  We are looking at Squish
(http://www.froglogic.com/) to do some automated testing in the time being.

Paul