[TIP] Testing Hierarchy

Terry Peppers peppers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:03:46 PDT 2009

How much testing is a tricky one to answer.

Some is a better answer than none.

That's all I've learned in this go-round here at work.

We have testing at all of the layers to varying degree, which - as I
mention in the presentation - builds a team's confidene. I think,
indirectly, it also builds a teams chemistry as well.

Picking your spots is also kind of critical since Unit tests provide
different kinds of a feedback when compared to Functional or
Acceptance tests. The idea of the hierarchy - which is a Mike Cohn
theory - is to demonstrate where you could be testing more. Different
use cases and issues require different kinds of tests; some in a
specific layer and others spread across layers.

Now I'm just rambling.