[TIP] Documentation for pylint configuration (was: Teaching pylint about keyword placeholders in string formatting)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 16 07:54:33 PDT 2009

Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr> writes:

> We tend to write more code than documentation which is bad when it
> means hidden useful features. There is a "documentation" tab on
> http://www.logilab.org/project/pylint but maybe what people would like
> to find about is not there.
>
> Where would you be looking for that information if you did not already
> know it? Tell me and I will put it there :)

I would expect:

* the VCS for pylint to control source documents (e.g. reStructuredText,
  or whatever is preferred for managing the documentation in source
  form) along with all other sources for a release

* the pylint documentation to have, as one of its main sections, a
  comprehensive description of all the options that can go into the
  pylint configuration file

* the description of each option to be updated — added, modified,
  removed, renamed, etc. — as part of the job of changing the behaviour
  in pylint

* the documentation sources included as part of the pylint source
  release, so OS distributions could build it and install it locally

* the online site for pylint to have a link to documentation built from
  the corresponding pylint release

That way, I could be confident that a pylint release online would have
documentation online for the current state of the configuration
behaviour; and that the documentation would be available to OS
distributions to build and install along with the rest of the package.

I have high hopes :-)

--
 \        “There are no significant bugs in our released software that |
  `\         any significant number of users want fixed.” —Bill Gates, |