[TIP] Teaching pylint about keyword placeholders in string formatting

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Jul 15 06:48:46 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:30:58PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> Hi Marius,
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:44:31PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > and therefore never have the problem with pylint.  (Though I prefer
> > pyflakes.  Fewer erroneous warnings, or at least I got that impression.)
>
> If you find time to report these erroneous warnings to
> python-projects at lists.logilab.org, that will be very useful.

I was imprecise.  What I actually meant, was that pylint's default
output is overwhelmingly verbose, especially when you attempt to run it
on an existing codebase with tens of thousands of lines of code.

It is a philosophical difference, I suppose (I like the Unix tradition
of being silent unless there's something wrong, especially because that
makes it easy for buildbot to send emails if and only if there's
something wrong with your last checkins).  I don't think it would be
useful for pylint if I joined the list and started arguing philosophy.
Although I could do that, if you're interested in why pylint didn't make
the right first impression to me.

Marius Gedminas
--
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL