[TIP] mock.patch in version 0.5 doesn't mock __exit__ method on open files

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 04:11:11 PDT 2009

Hello Matthew,

Technically this is a bug in Python (which will be fixed in 2.7 / 3.2)
where __enter__ / __exit__ are looked up on the instance rather than the
class.

That doesn't help you however. :-)

Not sure why this works in 0.4 and fails in 0.5 - it shouldn't have
worked in 0.4 either. Mocking magic methods (awesome alliteration) is a
tricky one as it will need custom support in Mock. In general I don't
think the magic methods should exist on mock objects unless the
programmer has configured them, so I need a simple way for the user of
mock to specify which magic methods should exist.

Mock is due for an update so I will think about this. I'll work out a
suggested API for your feedback. I guess you want __enter__ to return a
mock object that you can track and __exit__ to record calls to and
return a boolean.

All the best,

Michael

--