[TIP] 2.6.3 unittest change breaks nose

jason pellerin jpellerin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 13:29:48 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Michael Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> The change can't be reverted as it was a bugfix, but a different change
> could be applied. Is nose actually modifying the behaviour of
> TestProgram.runTests ? That isn't intended to be used directly except
> through main - and tying yourself very closely to its implementation details
> seems like a recipe for this kind of problem.

nose has to do some plugin setup and such around running tests, and it
uses a custom runner, so it overrides runTests(), since that used to
be the place where the test runner was initialized. In TestProgram in
2.5 and earlier, setting self.testRunner is deferred to runTests.
Changing back to that would be ideal for nose.

Though if I'm reading Barry's message right, the point is moot. If
2.6.3 goes out (has gone out?) with this change, then I'll have to put
out new releases of nose 0.10 and 0.11.

Here's the bug report I filed: http://bugs.python.org/issue6418 -- let
me know if it's not clear enough or if it can be improved otherwise.

> To be honest I'd like to blow TestProgram away altogether and replace it
> with a *sensible* set of functions.

Sure, me too. But maybe not in a point release. :)

JP