[TIP] real world testing

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Thu Jul 2 07:02:32 PDT 2009

Hi Noah,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:37 AM, Noah Gift<noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep going back and forth in swings on very strict 100% code coverage vs
> solving problems quickly under 2 day deadlines.  I think so far the 2 day
> deadline approach wins.  My gut tells me that there is some new theory of
> testing that is a bit more real world then the testing Nazi
> approach.....especially in things like web development or film production.
>  Comments?

I think about this a lot.  I find I get the best ROI on writing tests
when any of these are true:

* The need for quality is more important than getting it done quickly.
* I don't trust myself to get it right the first time.
* I'm not sure exactly how to solve the puzzle yet.  Writing tests
clarifies what I need.
* I'm happy with an interface but I want to improve the implementation.
* I'm fixing a bug that is not fast to reproduce manually.

Matt

--
Matthew Wilson
matt at tplus1.com