[TIP] continuous integration in practice for Python developers

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:52:18 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Marco Buttu
<marcobuttu at nanoelectronic.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 14:28 +1300, Noah Gift wrote:
>
>> I recently read:
>>
>> http://martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html
>>
>> And I was wondering if anyone had some reading material they could
>> recommend for practical implementations of this in a Python-centric
>> workflow.  Tarek has some good stuff in his Expert Programming book,
>> but I want more :)
>>
>> I am especially interested in how Python specific things like Sphinx,
>> Doctest, Nose, mix with new things like Distributed Version Control
>> and Virtualization.
>
> Perhaps ``Foundations of Agile Python Development'':
>
> http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781590599815

I thought Grig and Titus would do a book on this topic at some point
:)  Oh, well, at least Grig is writing the testing chapter in the book
he is working on with me on Google App Engine.  I would like to see a
continuous integration system with GAE.

> and this one:
>
> http://vallista.idyll.org/~grig/articles/

He does have a lot to say on buildbot.  It is funny, but sometimes you
have to come back home, to find what you are looking for.  I think
Tarek did a pretty decent job explaining how all of this works
together, especially with a distributed VCS like Mercurial.  I would
like to see some nuts to soup documentation about how people set
things up in the future though, not just a little piece here and
there.

For example, I have an interesting problem, the exact same problem
that Pythoscope solves, in that some "dirty" code that we don't
control will want to integrate in without test coverage.  I like the
idea of having some automated test generation being done as part of
continuous integration when you have deal with a "pure" and "dirty"
branch.