[TIP] pytest news: plugins, pycon, release-separation

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Feb 23 00:37:47 PST 2009

Hi Kumar,

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:35 -0600, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:09 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > some good news.  as those glimpsing at pytest svn-commits know
> > i am heavily working on a new plugin architecture.  I am
> > really happy about it as those also following me on my
> > brand-new twitter account (hpk42) might guess.
>
> Hi Holger.
> This is great news!  At the last PyCon Jason, Titus, Brian and I were
> talking about how it would be cool if nose and py.test could share the
> same plugin interface -- that way, in theory, all current nose plugins
> (http://nose-plugins.jottit.com/) would work in py.test and visa
> versa.

i am definitely interested to look into allowing to have
plugins that work on both py.test and nosetests.

> I took a look a quick look at your code but I couldn't find the core
> plugin code.  Do you plan to make a nose-compatible interface?

stay tuned and maybe watch http://tetamap.wordpress.com/ where i
will be publishing about pytest's plugin meachnism.

> The nose interface is documented here:
> http://www.somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/doc/plugin_interface.html

yip, i looked into that a few times - can we get together in a BOF session
at Pycon to present details to each other and to discuss steps how to
make life easy for plugin writers?

> > * new plugins for managing setup/teardown of application state,
> >  using a turns-out-to-work-great new mechanism
> >  which i guess nosetests might imitate at some point :)
>
> well, it has piqued my interest :)  There are a lot of problems with
> unittest setup / teardown, especially when running tests in parallel.
> Where do I look to see the new mechanism?

http://tetamap.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/new-way-to-organize-python-test-code/

cheers,
holger