[TIP] pytest news: plugins, pycon, release-separation

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 19:35:06 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:09 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> some good news.  as those glimpsing at pytest svn-commits know
> i am heavily working on a new plugin architecture.  I am
> really happy about it as those also following me on my
> brand-new twitter account (hpk42) might guess.

Hi Holger.
This is great news!  At the last PyCon Jason, Titus, Brian and I were
talking about how it would be cool if nose and py.test could share the
same plugin interface -- that way, in theory, all current nose plugins
(http://nose-plugins.jottit.com/) would work in py.test and visa
versa.

I took a look a quick look at your code but I couldn't find the core
plugin code.  Do you plan to make a nose-compatible interface?  The
nose interface is documented here:
http://www.somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/doc/plugin_interface.html

> * new plugins for managing setup/teardown of application state,
>  using a turns-out-to-work-great new mechanism
>  which i guess nosetests might imitate at some point :)

well, it has piqued my interest :)  There are a lot of problems with
unittest setup / teardown, especially when running tests in parallel.
Where do I look to see the new mechanism?

-Kumar