[TIP] unitteset outcomes (pass/fail/xfail/error), humans and automation

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Dec 15 02:16:49 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 10:21 +0100, holger krekel wrote:

> Hum, designing API interactions for combining plugins for timeout-ing
> tests,
> tracing/coverage, distributed-testing, CI-integration, randomizing
> tests,
> enhanced PDB ... just to name a few, i find somewhat tricky.  So i
> rather
> think about standardizing output produced by the various testing
> tools,
> to ease post processing/reporting and to establish a common
> understanding.

Well, on the standardising output front, have you looked at subunit ? :)
It aims at precisely that, with current included support for outputtin
it from pyunit, shunit, cppunit, 'check' (A C xUnit implementation),
converting to junit's xml format (which nearly all CI tools and many
IDE's understand) :)

I think the API interactions for the things you mention are well
addressable, though in a few different ways. As you imply there are more
issues to consider. My blog post about fixing unittest covers the key
points I think we have to solve to make it all come together - but its
not necessarily complete.

-Rob