[TIP] unitteset outcomes (pass/fail/xfail/error), humans and automation

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Dec 14 08:58:30 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:59 -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> >>  - I want to be able to control whether this outcome should be
> >> considered ordinary or exceptional: should it cause a test suite to
> >> error, or even to stop early?
> >
> > That's a matter of test-running to me, has almost nothing to do
> > representing test outcomes.
> >

> IMO it's a responsibility of the (test case | suite) to determine
> whether something failed or not.

Ok, test running machinery produces test outcomes.  Whether test
running, outcome determination and categorization or reporting/interacting
with a UI need to be done through the same "TestCase" class is an implementation
detail.  FYI py.test just invokes separate hooks[*] which may or
may not be coupled by a particular plugin.

cheers,
holger

(*) http://codespeak.net/py/dist/test/plugin/hookspec.html