[TIP] How do I run the same test on many different classes?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Dec 13 12:32:22 PST 2009

On 13/12/2009 20:07, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com
> <ssteinerx at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Dec 13, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>>

>>> This is one of those problems that I know how to solve in an ugly way,
>>> but I want to learn a better way.
>>>
>> What's the ugly way?
>>
> Copy and paste my TestTask for each Task1, Task2, etc, like this:
>
> class TestTask1(TestTask):
>      def setUp(self):
>          self.t = Task1()
>
> class TestTask2(TestTask):
>       def setUp(self):
>          self.t = Task2()
>

> Seems a little ironic to me that it is so hard to pass in a parameter
> to a test, since using parameters rather than making objects
> internally is so useful for writing testable code :)

You could at least build this with a class factory:

import imp
mod = imp.new_module('test_tasks')
from testcase import TestCase

def make_test(task):
     class TheTest(TestCase):
         def setUp(self):
              self.t = task()
     return TheTest

for index, task in enumerate([Task1, Task2, Task3...]):
     setattr(mod, 'TestClass%s' % index, make_test(task)

I believe that the Bzr guys (?) do this by copying TestCase classes.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/