[TIP] continuous integration - what are you using?

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:58:31 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Arve Knudsen <arve.knudsen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This has been a very interesting/enlightening thread, great initiative :)
>> At my workplace we write a mix of C++ and Python (mostly the former) for
>> Windows and Linux, and Buildbot has proved very useful aid in our
>> development process, especially since it catches a lot of compilation errors
>> (typically code that compiles on one platform, but not on the other). I feel
>> that making use of Buildbot has simplified our collaborative processes
>> greatly, due to how it tends to nip problems in the bud. We don't extract
>> any reports from the BB runs, apart from the waterfall view.
>>
>> Our slaves run on three VMware virtual machines at the time being. We
>> haven't had this setup for very long, so we're still kind of getting to
>> grips with it. We're also in the process of integrating it with Squish,
>> which is our tool for testing our Qt-based applications. If we can make this
>> combination work properly for us, I will be quite content :]
>

> Thanks to the tip from Paul earlier, we are evaulating Squish too, and will
> be interested in integrating it with buildbot.  I would be interested in
> hearing more about how your doing your Squish testing with buildbot.

Basically, it just boils down to running Squish in batch mode, as a BB step.
I haven't got it working yet though, due to Windows intricacies (Windows is
the most interesting platform for us, so I am concentrating my efforts on
this) regarding services and interactivity. I am going to try to run the
Squish server in a service that is allowed to interact with the desktop (the
BB slave service is not), and see how it goes.

Arve

>> Arve
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I think I'm going to do a comparison of CI tools soon, and I wanted to
>>> know what people are using in their Python projects.  So far I'm
>>> planning on looking at these three:
>>>
>>> Hudson
>>> CruiseControl