[TIP] ANNOUNCE: pyjunitxml

Matt Good matt at matt-good.net
Wed Aug 19 21:18:11 PDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Kumar McMillan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Olemis Lang<olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For people running tests using Nose, there has been support since
>>> 0.11
>>> for XUnit style output:
>>> http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.1/plugins/xunit.html
>>>  Just thought I'd mention it since we have made some tweaks here and
>>> there to get stderr and stdout to work, unicode, escaping, Jython,
>>> and
>>> probably a few other edge cases.
>>>

>> If you'r saying that nose outputs the same or similar XML format
>> (it's
>> not very clear to me after I read your message),
>
> yep, just saying that Nose supports XUnit output out of the box now.
>
>> well It seems that
>> BItten guys are using it somehow [1]_ . Isnt it ?
>>

>> .. [1] Enable bitten to use nose unittests
>>        (http://bitten.edgewall.org/ticket/147)
>
> I don't know if this is exactly XUnit format but it does look similar.
> I imagine they wrote theirs first judging by how the ticket was
> opened 3 years ago.  There were also a few other 3rd party plugins
> that did xunit output before it became part of Nose core.

No, that's part of Bitten's own schema for reporting build results.
It includes unit test results, but also can provide coverage data and
other stuff collected while running a build.

The <python:distutils command="unittest"> command invoke's Bitten's
extension of setuptools' "setup.py test" command[1], adding XML output
and coverage collection.
If you've configured nose's setuptools integration the two will work
together.

Bitten also includes parsers for JUnit[3] or NUnit[4] output.

[1] http://bitten.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/bitten/util/testrunner.py
[2] http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.1/api/commands.html
[3] http://bitten.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/bitten/build/javatools.py#L99
[4] http://bitten.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/bitten/build/monotools.py#L47