[TIP] does licensing of test tools matter?

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 12:27:44 PDT 2009

On or about 2009 Aug 5, at 11:02 AM, holger krekel indited:
> "elsewhere" was in twitter-land where i mentioned that i am
> pondering GPL licensing for future projects/releases - mostly
> because i see it opening the possibility of getting licensing income.

Wow, that is a Gordian Knot alright.

I'm not sure that the (L)GPL vs. BSD question matters as much as Jesse
and Michael say.
Titus might want them working on his stuff, but he's not trying to
make money from it. He wants the opposite, free labor. Thing is that
Jesse and Michael not his students, so he has to be more clever to get
them to work for him. :)

How much does each Jesse/Michael/Titus return back in the form of
profits? multiplied by how many folks with similar attitudes?
After all, none of them has said anything binding about what they'd
pay to use py.test, just that they would rather not.
If they're not going to pay anyways, does that matter what they use?
Is anyone willing to pay for a testing infrastructure?
JUnit Max's recent experience suggests that testing infrastructures
are very hard to monetize, which is semi-on-topic maybe... but mostly
probably this isn't the right place for a deeper discussion.

-Doug