[TIP] does licensing of test tools matter?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Aug 5 08:02:40 PDT 2009

Hi Doug,

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:34 -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:
> On 2009 Aug 5, at 3:31 AM, holger krekel wrote:
> > As noted elsewhere i am considering using (L)GPL style
> > licenses instead of the current MIT license possibly for
> > future py.test releases so i am interested in opinions from
> > testing people in particular and trust no flame wars arise :)
>
> I've lost track of the 'elsewhere', so maybe it would help if you
> (re)articulated your goals?

"elsewhere" was in twitter-land where i mentioned that i am
pondering GPL licensing for future projects/releases - mostly
because i see it opening the possibility of getting licensing income.
I've received substantial money in context of writing BSD-licensed
software or consulting around it.  I am not sure that will
be as easy in the coming years or maybe i am just envious of
a friend of mine who is sailing around the world with his
Yacht earned from selling software licenses :)

One related higher level goal of mine is: i'd like to
have enough money to be able to work on the things i want
to work on.  Not the other way round.

cheers,
holger