[TIP] ANNOUNCE: pyjunitxml

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Aug 1 00:48:41 PDT 2009

I've created a very lean junit xml style reporter for pyunit. The JUnit
format is unfortunately undocumented, which means supporting it is a
matter of waiting for bugs from people that find it interoperates badly
with other tools :(.

Anyhow, its useful for folk integrating with Java build systems and the
like. My implementation has some similarities to other, existing
extensions of this sort, with a few key differences:
 - I use stopTestRun so the standard API for running tests is all that
   is needed
 - there is no runner or other duplicated framework - this is as
   minimal and focused as possible.
 - supports the entire current pyunit TestResult protocol

If this is useful to people, great! I wrote it myself to permit subunit
to glue into junit environments, when I found that the existing similar
things were way to big to make a sensible dependency. I do hope I didn't
miss an obvious one to reuse :(.

I haven't actually deeply tested all the shiny new methods in python
2.7, as I'm still living in a python 2.6 world. I will fix it if bugs
are reported, and if you do depend on those features and want to use
this please let me know, so I can use you as a guinea pig. I also have
no idea about how they should look in junitxml - I don't personally have
a junit xml environment to test with :(. For now, I've guessed at skip,
and coerced unexpected success to success, and expected failure to
failure.

I've made it LGPL-3, which should allow anyone to use it. If that
doesn't permit use, please contact me offlist, I've no wish to provoke
even a mild flamewar on licencing.

https://launchpad.net/pyjunitxml, and
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/junitxml

Cheers,