[TIP] Coverage 3.0 beta 2

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 30 00:17:19 PDT 2009

Lukas Linhart <bugs at almad.net> writes:

> On Thursday 30 April 2009 05:42:32 Robert Collins wrote:
> > > not actually a Python source file but a distribution name, are to
> > > be avoided. Can't this just be named “Coverage”?
> >
> > or perhaps 'python-coverage' which is clear, specific, and happens
> > to fit the package naming convention for many linux distributions
> > :).
>
> IMHO, python- is redundand for python package name. This prefix should
> be part of packager's job (and it's also different in various
> distributions, what would be python-coverage in debian or
> devel/python-coverage in arch will be dev-python/coverage in gentoo).

As a co-maintainer of the ‘python-coverage’ package in Debian, I agree
with this — naming it correctly in the context of Debian is part of my
job :-) It's quite normal and unproblematic for a library to be packaged
by a name different from (usually more specific than) its canonical
name.

The name by which the project refers to itself, though, is important to
get right. I think that the name “coverage” (or “Coverage”) makes
the most sense. Certainly the *package* name, as imported in Python,
should be just ‘coverage’; and the project name should match that to
prevent programmers going mad.

--
 \     “I was stopped by the police for speeding; they said ‘Don't you |
  `\   know the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?’ I said ‘Yeah I know, |