[TIP] Coverage 3.0 beta 2

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Apr 29 19:52:21 PDT 2009

I'm working on a major overhaul of coverage.py, version 3.0.  Beta 2 is
now ready (I hope).

The code is on bitbucket:
*http://bitbucket.org/ned/coveragepy/downloads* . Feedback is welcome in
tickets on bitbucket, or by email here or directly to me.

--Ned.

Changes in 3.0:

- HTML reports and annotation of source files: use the new -b switch.
Thanks to George Song for code, inspiration and guidance.

- Code in the Python standard library is not measured by default.  If
you need to measure standard library code, use the -L switch during
execution.

- The trace function is implemented in C for speed.  Coverage runs are
now much faster.

- .coverage data files have a new pickle-based format.

- Annotation into a directory (-a -d) behaves differently.  The
annotated files are named with their hierarchy flattened so that
same-named files from different directories no longer collide.  Also,
only files in the current tree are included.

- Programs executed with -x now behave more as they should, for example,
__file__ has the correct value.

- Executable lines are identified by reading the line number tables in
the compiled code, removing a great deal of complicated analysis code.

- Coverage.py is now a package rather than a module, so the name is a
bit of a misnomer, since there is no longer a file named coverage.py.
Functionality
  has been split into classes.

- Python versions 2.3 though 2.6 are supported.