[TIP] Ideology

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Apr 28 09:05:52 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:13 -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:
> On or about 2009 Apr 28, at 6:29 AM, holger krekel indited:
> > sure, in the case of non-replicatable resources distributing
> > tests is of limited use.  still you might benefit from running tests
> > in a subprocess - I consider that a form of distributing tests.
> > It allows for timeouts, and to deal with crashing processes
> > etc without disrupting the test run.
>
> That would be a great idea.
>
> Unfortunately (and this is embarrassing), we are running the tests on
> a Windows box with proprietary device drivers.(1)
> Upon loading the python shim that talks to the drivers we have to do
> device discovery to find our device(s).
> I am not savvy on the all of the "whys", but finding our device to
> test takes upwards of 20-30 seconds.
> Between the time to start a new process and the time to (re-re-re-re-
> re-)discover the testing device, our testing times would explode if we
> ran each test in a subprocess. :(

maybe i am missing something, but i am not talking about
isolating each test in a fresh subprocess, rather a mode
where you run multiple tests in one process and restart
the process in case one test crashed it.  This way
you would look for device drivers N+1 times with N
being the number of crashes of your tests (and/or the
number of timeouts etc).

cheers,
holger

Metaprogramming, Python, Testing: http://tetamap.wordpress.com