[TIP] Ideology

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 28 04:00:34 PDT 2009

holger krekel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:05 -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:
>
>> I notice that py.test has a lot of functionality I do -not- need for
>> doing distributed test execution.
>> Nose and py.test have looks of "cool unit test" junk that I just
>> simply don't need doing my device testing.
>> And I have a bunch of functionality in my test framework that unit-
>> tests don't need.
>> If there were a nice composible framework, I could build just what I
>> need and so could you.
>> I haven't looked at nose, but I did look a py.test and OMFG there are
>> tomes of code in there I will never use... how could nose be any
>> better when it is solving lots of problems I. do. not. have.
>>

> hum, i am curious.  Would you like to only invoke test framework/tool/support
> code that you need for your test use case?  Is that to to avoid complexity
> in debugging when things go wrong (potentially in the framework)?
>
> As to compasability: i think that nose and py.test both aim to
> provide their functionality through plugins these days.  This
> sure enough comes with the cost of invoking plugin hooks but
> ideally it should lead to the composability you wish for.

How wild an idea is it to provide *some* compatibility with the plugin
system for unittest? Are they just too different or could a subset work?

> On a sidenote, i guess if i started to read the source code of
> the linux kernel and firefox, i'd find tons of code i do not
> need for my usage - does this warrant to go for building my
> own OS and web browser?

I use unittest because it does 'enough', and none of the extras provided
by nose or py.test are compelling enough to make me want to jump ship
(yet...).

Also doing a lot of stuff with IronPython (which neither nose nor
py.test supports particularly well) it is nice to use the same test
framework for all my projects.

The fact that they provide stuff I will never use (every large framework
has that) is not a reason why I don't use them.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/