[TIP] Ideology

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Tue Apr 21 12:13:11 PDT 2009

On or about 2009 Apr 21, at 11:17 AM, C. Titus Brown indited:
> -> Your test framework should have unit tests - and yes, you'll need
> -> treat it like any other piece of software, tests, docs, and
> debugging.
>
> Aiee, that sounds like work!

Right. If your tests are not, de facto, testing your framework, your
framework has bloat that should be eliminated, it isn't carrying its
own weight.

> -> It's a matter of choice: where do you want the complexity to lie?
> In
> -> the framework designer's bucket, or the test designer's? I tend
> -> towards the latter obviously (consider the abstractions that Django
> -> provides).
>
> I'd rather it be simple. No complexity allowed. Didn't you read my
> blog
> post??

This is the inflection point where unit testing diverges from, say,
device testing (the kind of stuff I'm fortunately paid to do). And so
it begs the question of whether unit tests and nose and py.test are
really all the same, not to mention hardware testing, system/
functional testing... The more complex the "system under test", the
more involved the testing framework seems to get...

-Doug