[TIP] Ideology

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Apr 21 08:53:30 PDT 2009

Sometimes when creating things, you have to start with something
complicated and then simplify it.  Because it isn't until you have a
whole lot of stuff out there that you can begin to see what 'simple'
would mean.  It is very much in the tradition of Blaise Pascal's "I
have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it short".

But try it as a thought experiment.  Pretend that you have already
made your messy test framework.  (Though why you wouldn't want to just
go out and grab somebody else's existing messy test framework, is
another question.)  Think about it very concretely.  Can you then see
how you would like to simplify it?  Again, concretely? If so, you
may have your answer.  If not, you may have to make a mess.

So create with 'I am going to reduce this a lot and make it simpler in
the future, once I figure out how to do so' very much in mind.  But then,
I think you do this anyway :).

Laura