[TIP] Ideology

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 08:24:10 PDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:17 AM, C. Titus Brown wrote:

> -> Your test framework should have unit tests - and yes, you'll need
> -> treat it like any other piece of software, tests, docs, and
> debugging.
>
> Aiee, that sounds like work!
>
> -> Better to have to test and debug a framework, then to shove the
> -> complexity down into hundreds of tests, which would ultimately
> result
> -> in fantastic amounts of copy/pasting within the tests.
>
> Well, yes.

Right, that's exactly the sort of thing that came up with our old test
framework.  That, and at some point I was the only one who understood
it.  The new one seems to be easier for the other developers to adopt.

> -> It's a matter of choice: where do you want the complexity to lie?
> In
> -> the framework designer's bucket, or the test designer's? I tend
> -> towards the latter obviously (consider the abstractions that Django
> -> provides).
>
> I'd rather it be simple. No complexity allowed. Didn't you read my
> blog
> post??

Maybe if you gave more detail about the nature of the complexity
you're thinking about adding we could give more direct answers.

Doug