[TIP] Ideology

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 07:19:36 PDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:11 AM, "C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> Over on pygr-dev, I just came up with this bon mot:
>
> """
> To paraphrase the regexp saying: you have a problem with your tests,
> so
> you make your test framework more complicated.  Now you have TWO
> problems...
> """
>
> We're talking about making a number of custom extensions to unittest
> and
> modifications to our test runner, and in doing so we're adding
> significantly to the complexity of our test runner.  That Seems Bad.
>
> Have other people run into problems doing this or should I stop
> worrying
> and just shut up?  (hah)
>
> --titus
> --
> C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu

Better the complexity lie in the runner an framework than in the
tests. So long as the execution environment can be recreated and run
outside of the framework, I would say you're ok.

Tests should be simple and straightforward to write, if that means
making the executor more complex, well so be it. :)

Jesse