[TIP] about regrtest.py

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Apr 14 20:42:21 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:38:27AM +0530, garg vikas wrote:
-> Dear TIP Members,
-> ????????????????? I was thinking to make test runner interactive in some cases :-
-> 1) like in -R option it takes arguments, so if it is wrong then can be put interactively by user.
-> 2) in sngle test run option if a person want to run tests one by one and analyze its output ,running time and more statics about test.
->
-> ?????? I was going to create a patch for this but before that I want your advice on this.

Hi Vikas (or Garg),

I like that you're thinking about how to improve regrtest...

...but I worry that you're trying to provide solutions to problems that
people doing CPython development simply don't have.

In this case, Python is an interpreted language and if I need to run a
single test in interactive, then I'll darn well do it from the Python
prompt ;)

Here are a couple of random ideas for you:

 - get coverage analysis working with either coverage or figleaf, and
   provide a way to communicate the raw coverage results to a remote server
   (by e-mail, or by XML-RPC, or whatever) so that we can integrate
   coverage results across multiple machines/OSes.  The remote server
   would produce an integrated coverage report from all of the results
   received.  Note that you'd want to tag each report with a source code
   version.

 - get figleaf sections working with regrtest so that we can see what
   lines of stdlib code are run by which tests.

 - verify that all regrtest tests are now unittest or doctest based; if
   so, find all documentation references that say otherwise and tag them
   for deletion.  (the tests used to be a lot more ad hoc but they've
   been systematically cleaned up over the last few years, and I think
   they now all make use of unittest and/or doctest).

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu