[TIP] Result protocol / problems being solved

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Apr 14 04:02:15 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 11:39 +0100, Michael Foord wrote:

> > I haven't looked at this - I have no strong opinion about it. Would it
> > be useful for me to review it?
> >

> That would be really helpful as I think it is a reasonable feature request.
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1778410

On my TODO; probably get to it before work tomorrow.

> > That seems to remove the need to take such a decision at all.
> >

> That specifically requires a package name as input rather than a
> filesystem location - so that is making a decision!

:)

> It does allow for test packages that extend themselves through __path__
> manipulation. I think I'd like to see an implementation of this
> technique though.

import bzrlib.plugin
bzrlib.plugin.set_plugin_path()
import bzrlib.plugins
print bzrlib.plugins.__path__

 - this is how we let plugins load each other, separately from loading
them all in arbitrary order.

> I think I'm now marginally in favour of providing the implementation of
> this in loadTestsFromPackage - with the load_tests protocol being in
> loadTestsFromModule as you showed previously.

Cool.

> >> After that I would like to turn unittest and its tests into a package.
> >> I'm hoping to do all of this in time to get it into 2.7.
> >>

> > I'd like to cleanup the skip support somewhat, the classsuiteclass thing
> > is odd - do you (or anyone here) know what the motivation behind it is?
> > AFAICT it is just to report 'a skipped module' as one skip rather than
> > one-per-test (which is IMO a misfeature, as test totals won't add up
> > properly then).
> >

> The skipped stuff was added before I got involved and I don't recall
> much discussion on the feature. A tracker item will probably help here.

http://bugs.python.org/issue1034053 was the tracker item for the patch;
there isn't much disucssion about ClassTestSuite. Should I file a new
item?

> OK, lets take that offline until the other issues are dealt with. As I
> said, I have two releases of my own stuff pending that I need to get out
> of the way.

Sure thing. BTW, anything performance related in configobj we should be
aware of in bzrlib? (we embed it for our configuration data) - reply to
me privately on this one if you like, its offtopic for TIP.

-Rob