[TIP] Functional Test Runner for Command Line Tools?

Michael Schlenker msc at contact.de
Tue Apr 14 02:59:12 PDT 2009

Noah Gift schrieb:
> In looking at http://pycheesecake.org/wiki/PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy
> I don't see something that automates writing functional tests for
> command line tools.  Hopefully, I am wrong, but I am looking for
> something that will fully exercise a command line tool easily.  How is
> everyone else testing their command line tools?

One option is always DejaGnu/Expect, thats what gcc uses for example. You
might want to have a look at PyExpect if you only fight with sane terminals
(aka anything where pythons pty module is available).

It is especially good if you have to test both buffered and unbuffered usage
 because many tools don't flush output if they do not detect a console/tty.

Michael

--
Michael Schlenker
Software Engineer

CONTACT Software GmbH           Tel.:   +49 (421) 20153-80
Wiener Straße 1-3               Fax:    +49 (421) 20153-41
28359 Bremen
http://www.contact.de/          E-Mail: msc at contact.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bremen
Geschäftsführer: Karl Heinz Zachries, Ralf Holtgrefe
Eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Bremen unter HRB 13215