[TIP] Result protocol / problems being solved

Mon Apr 13 23:18:32 PDT 2009

Laura Creighton wrote:
> Some people are testing hardware.  I think that Error (meaning
> broken test or execution env) won't be enough for them.  They need to
> distinguish between 'my hardware didn't work properly' and 'something
> is wrong in this test' and 'this hardware didn't have the correct
> software loaded on it before we even tried to run this test'.

The case I was mentioning was when I was testing microcode controlling
hardware.  When the hardware didn't work properly, it was not (necessarily)
a test failure -- hardware conditions that invalidate the test can be
detected
mid-test.

So, it was neither a microcode failure nor a test failure -- it was an
environmental problem that invalidated the test.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org