[TIP] Result protocol / problems being solved

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Mon Apr 13 19:43:56 PDT 2009

On 2009 Apr 13, at 10:18 PM, laidler at stsci.edu wrote:

> I'm going to take a step yet further back and ask, what are the
> problems people are trying to solve here?

Yay!

> 7. I want to be able to figure out why this specific test failed.
>
> Implications: Allow a way to associate stdout/stderr with the test
> result.

Those are two things I want, yes, but I also want the ability to
attach other output stream (trace logs for different trace flags, for
example).

> Did I miss anything?

I agree with everything you've said, and would emphasize just this:
SIMPLICITY of result reporting... only report what you have. No empty
place holders.

Thanks for the excellent summary, wish I'd've thought of it!

-Doug