[TIP] Result protocol

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 09:18:28 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Douglas Philips <dgou at mac.com> wrote:
> On or about 2009 Apr 12, at 10:34 AM, Jesse Noller indited:
>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Douglas Philips <dgou at mac.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> If we all want to interoperate, and the protocol is covered by GPL?
>>
>> Personally, anything I do will be under a BSDish license. Business
>> reasons.
>
> Oddly, I cannot find any kind of license info on either the YAML main
> page (http://www.yaml.org/) nor on the current draft (http://yaml.org/spec/cvs/current.html
> ) nor the one before that (which is what PyYaml supports)...
> (the links also look fairly broken, you can't download the 1.1 spec
> from http://yaml.org/spec/1.1/ because those links all point to
> 'current' which is 1.2).
>
> I've looked at it a bit and it seems, in the simplest form, only
> slightly different from Pandokia's format.
> Pandokia uses '=' and YAML uses ':'. Pandokia uses a leading '.' for a
> continued line, YAML uses indentation for aggregation. Still need to
> dig into YAML more but now that I've gotten a taste of it, its not so
> bad. :)
>
> Need to look at your example in more detail too.

As a bit of self-promotion, if you want more on YAML, see my reprint
of a PyMag article I wrote and republished today:

http://jessenoller.com/2009/04/13/yaml-aint-markup-language-completely-different/

As for comparing Pandokia vs. YAML - apples and oranges. YAML is a
mature, standard syntax with cross language support. Pandokia's format
is unique to Pandokia, and custom at that. I wouldn't bother comparing
the two as they are fundamentally different.

jesse