[TIP] Result protocol

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Apr 13 05:40:51 PDT 2009

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 12:55 +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
>

>> In fact I'm not sure that as a 'collection of facts' a protocol itself
>> would even be licensable in the first place.
>>
>> FWIW the GPL license on subunit would also stop me using, re-using or
>> contributing to it.
>>

> This is only slightly useful to know - what would be much more useful
> is:
>  - what characteristics do you need changed in the licence to let you
>    use/reuse subunit

Because of the viral nature of GPL it is impossible to use it in [many]
commercial situations.

I don't like the license and don't wish to put this restriction on code
I release - this means I can't include GPL licensed code (LGPL is fine)
in my projects. The BSD, MIT, Apache and MS-PL are all perfectly decent
alternative licenses.

>  - what [other] characteristics do you need changed to be willing to
>    contribute to it

I'm interested in protocols for test result reporting - which sounds
like part of what subunit does. It is not something I currently have
bandwidth to contribute to, I'm still working through my backlog now
that my book is complete. Improving unittest itself is something I am
dedicating time to. FWIW the GPL license means that code from subunit
can't be reused in unittest should any of it prove relevant.

> The GPL is my default licence, I use it until-and-unless there are
> reasons to use a different licence. It doesn't mean I'm unwilling to
> change.

If you accept any contributions back to your code after original
licensing you no longer own the copyright on the whole work - and need
the permission of all contributors to relicense. This is why I tend to
choose a more permissive default license. (BSD has been my choice but
I'm considering switching to Apache because it explicitly handles the
licensing of contributions.)

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/