[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sat Apr 11 05:29:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:19:48PM +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> It sounds *similar*, except:
> >>
> >> - Test modules can be discovered from the file system by a loader /
> >> custom suite
> >> - Tests are loaded in the normal unittest way - by finding all TestCase
> >> subclasses in each module found
> >>

> > Zope 3 has some abstract base classes that subclass unittest.TestCase.
> > I believe that's the reason for listing the ones you want explicitly
> > instead of using unittest's autodiscovery.
>
> The point of discovery is to avoid having to list things explicitly, you
> don't have to use it.

I'm not complaining, I'm explaining.  :-)

> If you look at the prototype you'll see that it skips classes that don't
> have any tests on them. If your base classes don't have any tests it
> wouldn't be a problem, if they do (why?) then you can use load_tests to
> skip them.

The "why?" cries for an explanation.  Some of the older Zope 3 code has
test cases that can test any particular implementation of an interface.
You have to subclass that test and override the factory method to supply
the implementation you want to test.

Marius Gedminas
--
The planning fallacy is that people think they can plan, ha ha.
            -- Eliezer Yudkowsky,