[TIP] Nosejobs!

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Apr 10 21:57:59 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 00:39 -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:

> Personally, I'd just like to stay focused on getting the test
> reporting wire level protocol down. That should be an orthogonal
> concern, esp. orthogonal to such issues as 'continuously open
> socket'
> or "transport via REST" or "file on a USB memory stick", but lots of
> other dimensions as well.

I'd like to think I have that done :). The major thing that subunit
*doesn't* do is lots of arbitrary metadata - and that because the
unittest TestCase->TestResult API has no facility to do this either.

I'm happy to extend subunit with arbitrary interlaced streams to allow
capturing profiling data, stdout, stderr and other things.. *IF* there
is a realistic hope we will be able to express these in the
TestCase->TestResult API. If we can't, then subunit stops being a good
fit with unittest, and as that is it's raison d'etre...

-Rob