[TIP] [issue5728] Support telling TestResult objects a test run has finished

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Apr 10 20:16:56 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 01:49 +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > As the bugtracker is down, and I'm not sure whether it will process mail
> > or have things lost when it comes back, I'm resending this to the list
> > to avoid any chance of lossage.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I've written up a patch for this; it works with old result classes too.
> >
> > Hopefully the bugtracker will attach it in reply to this mail; if not
> > I'll put in via the webui this evening.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> I like your getattr pattern, nice and simple - and only single lookup
> compared to using hasattr which I would probably have defaulted to.

Thanks.

Now there was only one other thing to consider. I don't think we should
do it, but it should be mentioned in case someone has a good reason why
we should.

Should we pass the suite/test into startTestRun? Why? Because some
runners want to indicate progress - how many tests have run and how many
have yet to run. I decided *not* to because that interoperates very
badly with streaming interfaces, and believe that progress should be
incorporated into the incremental interface between test and result,
rather than requiring an up-front analysis of the size of the test
suite.

-Rob