[TIP] Nosejobs!

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Fri Apr 10 19:58:41 PDT 2009

>>> JSON is in python2.6
>> Still using 2.4.4
> But I'm not building it for you :)

:)

> No. You don't handle results as a stream.

Actually, I do. This seems to be a pretty big divergence in goals.

> You don't let tests directly write to the object you're going to
> send back to the system.

Agreed, you want some kind of sanitizer, etc. But that adds
complexity...

> Doing that means that yes, you can have tests crap on your message
> back to the mothership - no matter the format, that will always
> cause pain.

"Test failed - Conversion from EBCDIC has been declined. Recommend
sterilizing remote system and retrying." :)

> "hi I want to build a distributed test execution and management
> system" - I'm not worried about decoupling it until the separation of
> concerns becomes clearer, and I get to you know, build it out. It's
> all related.

True.

> Anything which makes something which must be parsed by another
> language/entity will have some brittle pieces. I like YAML/JSON->Flat
> text->XML in that order, but again, I'm half tempted to do it with
> protocol buffers, because it's cool, and shiny.
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/

Yawn. Yet another IDL/Marshalling spec. "Must be good" because it
comes with all that Google shi...ne on it.
seems the opposite of simple, but at this point I'm interested in
going in a different direction anyways. Will keep an eye on what
you're doing though.

-Doug