[TIP] Nosejobs!

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 11:28:30 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

>> I'm sure you want to know: What Would Titus Do?
>>
>> Well, I have some insight there... he would probably implement a simple
>> wrapper that used subprocess to run things & kept an eye on the process,
>> killing it if it got wedged etc.  Reporting would be accomplished by
>> that wrapper.
>>

> That's exactly what we do in our distributed test runner that automates
> our UI (and is prone to occasional freezes). We kill wedged processes
> and report this to the database that is collecting test run information.
>
> Michael

Yup. It's not hard, overly complex, etc. The execution of a test that
went sideways is a FAIL, but a FAIL you caused intentionally. You have
to track the FAIL with all of your other FAILs as you would any other
result. Maybe you use a bigger font to show it, but it's a fail by any
other name.

And put the damn results in a database, because sooner or later, you
will want to make charts and graphs so you can have hot-ass spinning
graphs to show VCs, Managers or your wife, who wonders what you do all
day "with that python".

-jesse